Tuesday, November 4, 2008

spiders, spiders, and spiders... oh my

I know it's been almost a complete month since I've posted anything- sorry about that- things get kind of busy sometimes- I get a little lazy- but I'm getting back on track. =)
Anyway- so it being said that I know it's been a while since I've posted- it seems silly to start off November with such a silly post about spiders! But- I do have to say I was very curious with the arachnids I've discovered in my house over the past few weeks. (not to mention I need to remember to spray around the outside of the house before more make it in!)

So- the first picture is of a spider I discovered one afternoon while I was sitting at the computer. If you know me, you know that I DO NOT kill things (besides mosquitos and fleas), so the first thought that came to my mind when I saw him was to grab my camera! I got a few pretty good pics- (ignore the dirty floor... lol) but as I was blowing on him to get him to turn around- he ran off behind the fridge.

He was missing for a few days before he re-appeared and I caught him then set him free outside. After doing some researching, I found he is a member of the Lycosa Tarantula family. Awesome right?! (okay- yes... I'm weird!)


Then... later that night I found a common wolf spider. Carter and I caught him and set him free too. (He was much faster!)


After reading up on wolf spiders, I learned where there is one, there is usually another. The males go out in search of the females. So, the males are usually the ones seen. And... sure enough, I found the female... with my hand... under the kitchen sink a few days later. She too was caught and set free outside, where I got some awesome pictures of her pooping! lol (I bet you never thought about a spider pooping before huh?!)

In the following picture is where you can see her defecation. Just above and a bit behind her right hind leg there is a little round white speck with black spots- looking to float in her web. Yep... now you've seen spider poop. =) You're welcome.




Note: No spiders were harmed in documentation of Dana's curiosity.
hehe

I promise a blog with updates of the kids is coming next!

No comments: