Monday, August 11, 2008

We're officially members of God's family!

Yesterday Zach and I were baptized! It was very exciting. I wasn't nervous at all last week. But, yesterday morning the nerves hit me. I wasn't worried about the act of being baptized that transforms and renews me to a new person; I knew I was ready for that. What I was worried about was the actual act- walking down the steps into the water, repeating the good confession without messing up, being dipped without getting water in my nose- should I plug or not, and then getting out of the water without slipping. Oh, and I also was worrying about wearing a bikini under the robe and if everyone would be able to tell it was a bikini- and if that would be inappropriate. Yes, I know these things are silly things to worry about, so I prayed that I wouldn't worry about them then! I have to say, after I put on that HUGE robe and our minister prayed with us, I felt so confident and happy!

The music quieted and the lights shined brightly down on the baptistry. Don, our minister entered the water, then I, followed by Zach. I was so comforted when my first toes entered the water and I realized it was very warm! Don had mentioned before about how chilly the water always was, so I was glad someone remembered to turn on the heater! (or whatever they do to get it to be warm water!)

Zach went first and then it was my turn. It was such a wonderful experience for both of us! I'm so glad we have finally come to the point in our lives when we realized how important it really is to actively have God in our lives and to actually SHOW our commitment though being baptized. It's one thing to believe whole-heartedly. But, for us, actually being a part of the church is something we are excited about and look forward to every week. We know how important it is. =)

So, yes- we're Baby Christians and will still make tons of mistakes. But, Zach and I are on this wonderful journey together and know we'll always be there for one another, learning right along each other's side. <3

I do want to say thank you to the family that was able to make it to the service to share our special day! It really meant a lot to have those closest to us there to witness our commitment to God.

No comments: