Monday, August 18, 2008

Carter's first day of school!


Carter started school last week. It's a pretty big event considering he's never been in any type of daycare or preschool. All summer I was fine with the fact of him starting Kg this year. Well... I was fine until a few weeks before school started and I was looking through the Walmart school supplies adds. That's when it hit me. My little boy was starting school!

Well, Wednesday 8/13 he went for testing while I had parent orientation. I had him take the first grade assessment test because from what I've read of Avon's kindergarten curriculum, he would be more advanced than things they'd be working on through the year. He did very well on the tests, scoring just about where the average kindergartner scored on this test at the end of the school year. The school said they'd leave the decision up to me since he was right on the fence, but they did tell me he was pretty ancy and asking when they'd be finished. So, I made the decision to keep him on track in kindergarten rather than bumping him up to first. I know he'd probably do well academically in first, but considering he's never been in any more of a structured environment than Sunday School at church, I know he needs to adjust.

We had debated on me taking him and picking him up from school, or letting him ride the bus. After going back and forth, we decided to let him ride the bus. That's what he wanted anyway.

So... Thursday came. Zach had gone in early (4am) and worked until almost 8 so he could come home and also experience Carter's first day! We got ready and walked to the corner where his bus stop is. We waited and met the other kids that would be riding his bus. As the bus pulled up, so did Carter's nerves! He walked up the steps on the bus and I could tell it in his eyes he was going to be upset. Sure enough, as the bus pulled away he started to cry. Poor guy. =(

We rushed back to the house and all loaded up in the van because I wanted to get up to the school to see him get off the bus and walk inside. As we pulled up he was just getting off his bus. He glanced over and saw us and punched his fist at us! (not like an "I'm doing it.. yeah" kind of punch. But, more of an "I'm so mad at you for making me do this!" kind of punch! lol!)

We sat there until he was in the building and as we pulled away that's when I got emotional. Yes- you all knew I would! School's only 9-11:30, so it's not like I was missing much... but I want to know everything! So, when we went to pick him up at the bus stop after school you can imagine my disappointment when he really didn't have much to say! He was just very casual with everything and asked me in a very annoyed manner, "uh, are you going to ask me what I did at school every day?" Little snot! =)



Maybe I'll just put a hidden camera in his backpack and then I'll stop bothering him by asking what he did that day!!

No comments: